The school council plays an important role in the life of Millbrook Combined School. It is made up of one pupil from each class years 1 to 6, who are elected to represent the children from their class at the council meetings.
The School Council system develops children’s sense of citizenship and how they can be responsible members of the school community. It helps develop children’s speaking and listening skills, their confidence and problem-solving skills as they find solutions to any problems they come across in school.
They meet fortnightly with Mrs Taylor, and have been involved with many of the recent projects in school and discuss ways in which they could improve the school. So far, their achievements include:
- Setting up a healthy snack shop
- Raised money for Jeans4Genes, Children in need and Comic Relief
- Follow-up work for Anti Bullying Week
- We held a Millbrook Bake Off and the money raised were donated to the One Can Trust
- We are planning visiting the One Can Trust in the Summer to help them sort out the Food
- We want to stop all single use plastic bottles by replacing them with BPA friendly plastic bottles (available from the School Shop)
- New playtime toys will be purchased in the summer time, one available for each class
- We carry out a yearly health and safety walk and report it back to governors
- They are involved in the interview process for new candidates who want to join our team at Millbrook